Only 300 copies available, exclusively on Sam Records.
Shipping Monday 1, June.
Sam Records/Saga are very excited to announce the first release of their new series : ARTISAN
Since the arrival of vinyl records, jazz fans have been spoiled with an outstanding diversity of beautiful record covers created by amazingly talented artists and graphic designers: David Stone Martin, Jim Flora, Pierre Merlin, Reid Miles, to name just a few.
For our first pick, we selected Byrd Jazz, a longtime collector’s favorite. Recorded live in Detroit, this Transition LP captures the first recording as featured artist for trumpeter Donald Byrd. With its ‘mondrianesque’ cover, Byrd Jazz is the perfect example of a daring and timeless design.
All the records covers have been carefully hand-printed and we’ve added a 12-page booklet including the original notes by producer Tom Wilson, and a new essay written by Brian Priestley.
Parisian Thoroughfare :
Torsion Level :
Dancing in the Dark :
Donald Byrd (Trumpet)
Bernard McKinney (Euphonium)
Yusef Lateef (Tenor saxophone)
Barry Harris (Piano, arranger)
Alvin Jackson (Bass)
Frank Gant (Drums)
Willie Bowen (Emcee)
- Parisian Thoroughfare 14’27
- Yusef 5’34
- Shaw ‘Nuff 6’52
- Blues 6’14
- Torsion Level 6’24
- Woody ‘n You 7’31
- Dancing in the Dark 7’36
- Produced and manually screen printed by François Lê Xuan and Fred Thomas for Sam Records/Saga.
- Mastered from the original master tapes.
- Cut by SST (Schallplaten Schneid Technik).
- 180g vinyl LP pressed by Pallas in Germany.
- 12-page booklet including the original notes by producer Tom Wilson and a new essay written by Brian Priestley.
- Each record has been visually checked to prevent defects.